Are you frightened to see a swollen and distended blue colour vein in your leg? Yes! Then you are not alone in the loop. It is called varicose veins and many individuals suffer from this due to the flow of blood in the wrong direction. The varicose vein is caused when the walls of the veins and the valves become damaged. The varicose vein which appears in the legs by frequent standing and walking can cause the pressure to increase in the veins in the lower part of the body. Varicose vein gives intense pain and uneasiness, if not treated on time.
The varicose vein appears after the pregnancy, menopause, constipation, obesity, and overweight individuals. As you get older, the poor lifestyle habits, sitting or standing for a longer time, or those individuals who have the family history may also develop varicose vein. Mostly women are more susceptible to varicose vein issues than men. The intake of birth control pills or undergoing hormone therapy may be one of the culprit behind the issues.
To help you out and to know more about varicose vein, its causes, and symptoms read through the article below. Also, we have discussed a few self-care tips that you can follow to ease the pain. Read on.
Signs and Symptoms of a Varicose Vein:
The symptoms and signs of the varicose vein include:
- Bulging of the veins
- Severe, intense pain in the leg
- Feeling heaviness in the legs
- Leg cramps
- Individuals have restless leg syndrome
- Twisted veins
- Skin colour around the area of the varicose vein changes its colour
- Purple or bluish discolouration of veins
What are The Causes of a Varicose Vein?
The damaged walls or valves of the vein can lead to the varicose vein. Since the walls become weaker, it prevents the flow of blood in one direction and causes the blood to flow in the backward or opposite directions. This leads to the accumulation of the blood in the veins and becomes enlarged, bulged and swollen. The area becomes bluish and discoloured. In severe cases, the veins may bleed and cause ulcers in the legs.
Diagnosis of Varicose Vein?
If you have severe pain, discomfort, or feel uneasiness, then speak to your doctor immediately. Your doctor may examine your condition and would ask a few questions related to the pain and symptoms you are going through. Your doctor may suggest an ultrasound to check the flow of blood through the vein and venogram to know about the blood clot or blockage of the vein.
What Are The Ways You Can Treat Varicose Vein?
The following are some of the ways that the doctor may suggest in preventing varicose vein or to ease the symptoms if already exists:
- Avoid standing for a long time
- Use stockings if you experience unbearable pain
- Manage healthy body weight
- Try moving frequently to improve blood circulation in the legs. You can also, practice yoga or exercise to rev up your circulation.
Your doctor may advise using compression socks or stockings to release pressure and swellings from the legs. Stockings help to improve blood flow in the legs. You can shop for stockings from a trusted online medicine shop and get them delivered at your doorstep.
The Vein-stripping Surgery:
If you have unbearable pain in your legs, your doctor may suggest vein-stripping, which is a non-invasive procedure used to remove the vein through the incisions. Maintain your overall well-being and lessen your intense pain using this non-invasive method.
There are many other treatment options available to reduce varicose pain in the legs and those include:
- Endothermal ablation
- Endoscopic vein surgery
- Laser surgery
Easy and Effective Home Care Tips to Ease Varicose Pain:
The following are some simple home remedies that help to prevent or improve the varicose pain from getting worse. Those include:
- Push yourself! Yes! Exercise helps to improve blood circulation in the body at the same time it keeps the blood pressure under control. But always pay attention to do only low-impact exercises or workouts like swimming, walking, trim-trails, cycling, and yoga to ease the pain.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes to increase blood circulation to the legs.
- Pick a massage oil and gently rub over the affected area to improve blood circulation. Take care not to massage forcibly on the veins.
- Consuming flavonoids rich foods may help to relieve the pain. This is because the foods help to increase blood flow, reduces blood pressure and makes the walls of the veins stretch and relaxed. So, include foods such as spinach, citrus fruits, onions, bell peppers, cocoa, and garlic in your daily diet.
- Intake of the grape-seed extract reduces varicose pain. But, speak to your healthcare provider before you plan to include as part of your diet. Also, if you are already on blood thinners, then never take without your doctor’s advice as it can interact with the drugs you are taking previously and increase the risk of bleeding.
- Put your legs in an elevated position to increase blood circulation during long working hours when the mode of the job is sitting. Also, keep your feet up stretched on a pillow while sleeping.
- Never sit or stand in the same posture for long hours. Try moving around to improve blood flow in the body.
- Extract juice from the garlic pods and add olive oil in it. Mix the mixture very well and gently apply the paste on the affected area and leave it overnight. The anti-inflammatory property of garlic helps to reduce swelling and prevents blood clots.
- Coldwater can relax your blood vessels. Hence, whenever you have heaviness in the legs, just put them in the cold water for some time. It helps to alleviate your throbbing pain quickly.
- Above all, keeping your body well hydrated is the best way to improve blood circulation. Never fail to drink the right amount of water your body needs. It keeps the vein, and blood vessel relaxed.
Varicose vein, once developed, can cause more serious health issues, and gets worse over time. Above-listed tips are a few ways that you can follow to reduce the pain. But, if pain persists and is excruciating, then visiting the healthcare provider is a must. Sometime anti-inflammatory drug may be prescribed to alleviate the pain. Buy prescription drugs online from the best online pharmacy store in India and avail amazing medicine discounts on every order.